Nuru Nigeria is a local NGO with affiliates in the US, Kenya and Ethiopia, and is starting up operations in Nigeria. The mission is to end extreme poverty in remote rural communities. Nuru’s first involvement in Nigeria was established in 2017 and began work in 2018 in Adamawa State, Nigeria with the creation of Nuru Nigeria. The long-term goal of Nuru Nigeria is the establishment of a locally-led, self-sustainable, Nigerian NGO which will continue to work with local rural communities indefinitely.
- Job Position: Research Assistant
- Job Location: (Michika, Hong, or Gombi) Adamawa
- Employment Type: AD-Hoc
- Start Date: March 2021
- Department: Monitoring & Evaluation
- Report To: Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
- Slot: 30 Openings
- Nuru Nigeria is recruiting a large pool of field research freelancers to work on a contractual basis depending upon the needs of its projects. The selected freelancers will be kept in a pool that will be invited automatically to work with Nuru Nigeria in any event that we need freelancers to support existing and new research projects. This means that the selected freelancers will not go through the recruitment process again if we need freelancers to support fieldwork.
- Freelancers will have the right to choose whether to accept an assignment or not based on their availability and discussion of specific assignments, conditions, payments and timelines with Nuru Nigeria.
- The research freelancers will be assigned to work under the supervision of an M & E Officer to implement research activities for existing and new research projects. Below is an outline of expected duties for the different roles, which may also be expanded upon to suit the needs of the studies as required.
- Support Nuru Nigeria M&E and Program Team in the collection of primary data during surveys and assessment etc based on various criteria provided.
- Conduct assessment and enter data within households (or designated locations) during surveys and assessments.
- Ensuring that Nuru Nigeria data collection activities are carried out in line with the standard.
- Make sure that consent is sought from participants prior to interviews and that all relevant information is communicated, including the objectives of the study, confidentiality, voluntary participation etc.
- Participate in training/meetings related to surveys and assessment.
- Proper records and documentation of all field materials
- Ensure data quality, control and administration.
- Assisting with other research tasks as assigned.
- A minimum of university graduate or National Diploma, NCE or its equivalent especially in Agricultural Science with at least one year of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Speaks, reads and writes fluently in English, Kamwe, Hausa & Fulfulde required
- Knowledge of the operational area
- Previous experience conducting quantitative interviews with different stakeholders and vulnerable groups especially with an NGOs
- Proven interest & commitment to humanitarian and development principles and demonstrates an understanding of conflict/post-conflict development contexts.
- Understanding of confidentiality requirements
- Resident and familiarity with the terrain in North-East Nigeria
- Excellent computer application skills, particularly Ms Word & Excel programs
- Can operate an android phone
- Strong typing skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong analytical skills
- Team player with a positive attitude
- Flexibility in a fast-paced evolving work environment
- Good communication and public speaking skills
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Demonstrate the ability to operate in both office and field settings
- Experience implementing electronic data collection methods
- Willing to work flexible hours and weekends.
23rd February, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Cover Letter and Resume / CV to: [email protected] Please reference the Job Title and Location on the subject line.
- Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.