S.P.A. Ajibade & Co. is a leading Corporate and Commercial Law firm based in Nigeria. Established in 1967, it has been at the forefront of developments in commercial practice in Nigeria and has continuously rendered sound technical advice and tailored customer solutions to its local and international partners. To our clients, S.P.A. Ajibade & Co. is a reliable partner and trusted counsel in various transactions and dispute resolution processes. We see our duty to our client as that of not just providing excellent technical advice, but also providing solutions that address and enhance a client’s purpose and business objective.
Job Position: Senior Associate (Corporate Finance & Capital Markets)
Job Location: Lagos
- We are seeking a suitably competent, versatile, detail-oriented and commercially aware Senior Associate who will be responsible for relevant instructions in the Corporate Finance & Capital Markets team, leading Associates within the team and contributing to the overall philosophy and strategy of the Firm.
- The successful candidate will receive support from a diverse team with specialized skills in different practice areas.
- A qualified candidate for this position will exhibit a high-level of professionalism and a business style that is entrepreneurial, team-oriented, hands-on, and collaborative.
- He/she should also be able to evaluate and balance the needs and priorities of the business when making strategic decisions.
- Undertake specific projects as directed by the supervising Partner in both the capacity of a team member and head of a functional area.
- Provide advisory, consultancy and transactional services to the Firm’s clients and assume personal responsibility for delivery of tasks within the department.
- Carry out complex legal assignments requiring substantive legal knowledge in diverse practice areas with emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and related corporate finance transactions.
- Preparation and responsibility for own workload and management, ensuring work is done within the prescribed time limits and in accordance with good legal practice and client service specification.
- Perform fee earning work accurately, reliably and in accordance with the Firm’s quality and risk management procedures.
- Ensure that standards, systems, and processes are developed, maintained, and delivered consistently within own area of responsibility.
- Represent the Firm in meetings (including member meetings) se conferences, professional association meetings, inquiries, working groups, and in discussions with other legal practitioners as required.
- Ensure effective internal and external communications to promote a sound understanding of client, staff and other stakeholders needs and expectations and use this information to develop appropriate service and management responses.
- Ensure proper control of work in progress, billing, and collection of fees.
- Act in a supporting and advisory capacity to Management and clients as assigned, gathering and evaluating relevant facts, researching applicable laws and providing recommendations on legal strategy and consequences, highlighting respective risks.
- Act in a supervisory and advisory capacity to junior Associates on legal matters.
- Deal with complex enquiries, investigating and researching matters, and providing appropriate information/guidance and advice to clients directly or through the supervising Partner.
- Keep up to date with changes in legislation or industry codes of practice, and ensure that updates are communicated, noted, discussed, and implemented within the Firm.
- Support the use of ICT as an aid to the effective performance of work and the delivery of services.
- Carry out regular team communication and adopt performance management techniques to ensure team members are motivated and have the necessary support to meet departmental objectives.
- Participate in the growth and development of the firm.
- Treat all information about the firm and its clients and their business as wholly confidential.
- Attract additional business from new and existing clients.
- Write or participate in the writing of thought leadership articles and updates in relation to any of the firm’s practice areas, with particular emphasis on M&As, private equity and other corporate finance related areas.
- A good First Degree in Law; B.L.
- A Master’s degree in law will be added advantage.
- 7 – 10 years’ post call experience at least 5 of which must have been at Associate level gained at a reputable and structured law firm.
- Strong & effective business communication skills (verbal and writing skills).
- Experience in using Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to implement legal strategies in a commercial context.
- Sound judgment with ability to balance legal risk and business impact.
- Very good knowledge of the Nigerian legal industry and its dynamics.
- Strategic and commercially aware, with extensive knowledge of local, national, and international laws and regulations pertaining to the practice areas of the department (particularly the Companies and Allied Matters Act, the Investments and Securities Act, the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Act etc.).
- Ability to provide and perform sophisticated legal advice/analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare corporate and transactional filings (i.e., SEC, NSE, FMDQ/NASD) in line with regulatory requirements, and in handling compliance and legal matters.
- A strong work ethic that reflects a collaborative, adaptable and results-oriented approach.
- A self-starter, able to demonstrate high levels of initiative and motivation, but also work closely with other team members and supervise them effectively.
- Ability to manage assigned tasks in an assertive, efficient, and timely manner.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, demonstrating professionalism in all dealings.
- Able to deal understandingly and appropriately with clients and to show empathy with them.
- Excellent leadership and management skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Must be able to multitask and keep calm under pressure.
- The flexibility to work outside normal office hours as may be required from time-to-time.
- A willingness to be adaptive to the businesses’ changing needs.
30th November, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.