Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations in Nigeria which is headed by an FAO Representative assists the governments to develop policies, programmes, and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner. The country also supports humanitarian responses in the North East of Nigeria in order to increase the resilience of livelihoods to food and agriculture threats and crises.
- Job Position: Senior Driver
- Job Location: Abuja, Niger, Nigeria
- Post Number: 0130915
- The Senior Driver is responsible for driving Country Office Staff of FAO Representations and visitors. He/she also provides other transportation-related and messenger services for the Country Office Staff of FAO Representations.
- Drive for the Head of Office and his / her visitors, including high-ranking officials from within and outside the Organization. As necessary also drive for other staff of FAO Representations.
- Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport; facilitate immigration, customs formalities, hotel check-in, and other local formalities.
- Ensures that the local transportation needs of the FAO Representative are met at all times and ensures the safety, technical soundness and comfort of the vehicle(s).Log official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, transportation / vehicle-related expenditures, vehicle servicing, repairs, etc.
- Assist the administrative staff in regular monitoring of the logbooks and maintenance records.
- Ensure day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle(s); check oil, water, battery, tires, etc.; perform minor repairs and timely arrange for any other repairs necessary to keep the vehicle safe and technically sound at all times; maintain the vehicle(s) in clean condition.
- Handle local and organizational formalities when involved in an accident; ensure that in this case all organizational and local / country rules, regulations and procedures are followed correctly.
- Collect and deliver mail, documents, pouches, and other communications/items from and to the country office; go to the post office, airport, government agencies, other UN agencies, institutions, project sites, etc., to take and deliver items and communications; keep records as required.
- Assist the Country Office in performing simple clerical duties such as making and answering telephone calls, making photocopies, keeping records, etc.
- Brief and train the junior driver in all the above duties and responsibilities.
- Perform other related duties as required .
The incumbent works under the general supervision of the FAO Representative and the direct supervision of the functional supervisor.
In his/her function as Senior Driver for the relevant Office, the incumbent is in regular contact with national and international visitors, including high ranking officials from the Government and other (UN) Agencies, with project managers, consultants and other personnel from within and outside the Organization. He / she is often the first point of contact for people from outside the country office. He / she interacts on a day-to-day basis with personnel and officials from local offices and service providers.
Impact Of Work
The incumbent’s work impacts on the timely and efficient delivery of the immediate work unit’s programme.
- Education: Secondary school education. Possession of valid driver’s license
- Experience: Four years of work experience as a driver. Flawless, safe driving record
- Languages: Working knowledge (Level C) of English
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Good knowledge of the local driving rules and regulations; skills in minor vehicle repair.
- A high degree of punctuality and reliability is required.
- Safe driving manner. Good sense of direction and knowledge of local conditions.
- Ability to cope with extended working hours
Desirable Qualifications And Skills
- Possession of trade test certificate issued by the local authority
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a technical / competency-based interview.
11 May 2021, 1:59:00 AM
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online