The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
Job Position: Senior Journalist (Digital)
Job Location: Lagos
- We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Journalist to join the BBC News website’s Africa team, based in Nigeria.
- This team covers Africa through news, features, graphics, photo stories and video. All the team’s content is produced in English for African and global audiences.
- The job involves selecting, researching, writing and editing the best stories using a variety of sources, while ensuring that they adhere to the BBC’s editorial values. This includes rigorous fact-checking and subbing of copy to the highest standards.
- You will work closely alongside the rest of the BBC services based in Lagos, Abuja and elsewhere on the continent.
- Part of your job will be to ensure that the best of the material from African language services is represented on the BBC’s English language news site. You will be expected to work with text, still photos, video and graphics.
- You will also be liaising with teams in London and across Africa to enhance the coverage of African news on the BBC News website.
- You will be familiar with using search and social media to surface the stories that engage our audiences, in order to grow our reach, especially on the continent.
Are you the right candidate?
- Candidates will need excellent writing skills with a knowledge of African current affairs.
- You will also need a thorough understanding of media law.
- Candidates should enjoy working under pressure and bring plenty of story and production ideas to the role.
- You will need to demonstrate a high standard of editorial judgment, writing ability and production skills based on substantial journalistic experience
22nd October, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online