IDH drives sustainability from niche to norm; by convening companies, civil society organizations, governments and others in public-private partnerships. Together with partners, IDH designs, co-funds and prototypes new economically viable approaches to realize green & inclusive growth at scale. Our approaches are designed to drive sustainability in commodity sectors and sourcing areas while delivering impact on the Sustainable Development Goals. IDH is supported by multiple European governments, and we work together with over 500 companies in 12 sectors and 12 landscapes with over 40 governments worldwide.
- Job Position: Senior Program Officer
- Job Location: Benin City, Edo, Nigeria
- The Senior Program Officer will be responsible for ensuring the adoption of climate-smart technologies by smallholder farmers.
- The incumbent will advise implementing partners and farmers on appropriate specific climate smart interventions that are germane to their business cases. Apart from encouraging sustainable development of agricultural systems in the oil palm landscape, CSA interventions should lead to enhanced incomes for smallholder farmers and agribusinesses as well as development of Verified Sourcing Areas (VSAs) in the two states.
- The position will be based either in Akure or Benin City with field activities in both Edo and Ondo States, Nigeria.
- Participate in the value chain and climate risk assessment of oil palm as well as other prioritized commodities.
- Participate in identifying appropriate climate-smart interventions based on IDH oil palm landscape approach.
- Advise, train and coach agricultural extension providers including implementing partners on climate smart intervention strategies.
- Support IDH technical missions on climate smart agriculture.
- Support agricultural extension in delivering needs-based and practical trainings to smallholder farmers.
- Participate in developing profitable climate smart innovations with smallholder farmers in collaboration with research partners.
- Participate in the promotion and scaling of evidence-based climate smart technologies.
- Support implementation partners in the identification, development and implementation of business cases for smallholder farmers
- Lead in identifying and analyzing the barriers to the uptake of climate smart technologies and formulating recommendations
- Support efforts at developing effective linkages between smallholder farmers, and private sector actor including off-takers/anchors, and other relevant stakeholders
- Support initiatives towards sustainable management of agricultural land as indicated in the Green Growth Plans of the states
- Promote and support negotiations of agreements with stakeholders to protect biodiversity values, water quality, soils, and other natural values of importance to the community.
- Provide weekly, monthly and quarterly reports, updates and success stories, as may be required.
- Work closely with a variety of short-term technical advisors to achieve the program’s results
- A relevant post graduate qualification in Agronomy and/or farming systems
- Minimum of 6 years of progressive professional experience in sustainable and climate smart agronomic approaches especially in oil palm production. Relevant experience in livestock production, and extension/education experience will be an advantage
- Good knowledge of oil palm value chain
- Experience in climate smart agriculture design and financial analysis of climate smart technologies.
- Experience working with female entrepreneurs and gender integration approaches.
- Excellent communication (written and oral), reporting and presentation skills.
- Willingness to travel to all project locations.
April 30, 2021
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Just send us your motivation and resume in English by Clicking here to apply online
Candidates should be Nigerian nationals or have permission to work in Nigeria.