The National Agency for the Control of AIDS (formerly National Action Committee on AIDS) was established in February 2000 to coordinate the various activities of HIV/AIDS in the country.
- Job Position: Senior Technical Specialist (Health Management Information Systems)
- Job Location: Abuja
- Supervisor: Project Coordinator
- Duration of contract: 33 months
- The Senior Technical Specialist (HMIS) position is to provide technical leadership of the Global Fund (GF) Resilient and Sustainable Systems for Health (RSSH) grant HMIS program in a manner that strengthens the national Health Information System (HIS), and lead the project’s Monitoring and Evaluation and Learning (MEL) effort.
- S/he will provide technical, strategic advice and programmatic direction for the capacity building of government agencies in the development and implementation of HIS aspects of the activity and lead project activities related to and implementation organizations in data use, data systems architecture, and health information systems governance.
- S/he will provide high-level expertise to strengthen national processes and tools in strategic information
- In close collaboration with national and sub-national authorities and stakeholders, lead the implementation of the HMIS program of the RSSH that supports the strengthening of the National Health Information System.
- Lead grant stakeholder management efforts as it relates to HMIS and the applicable stakeholders.
- Work within project strategy and policy guidelines and makes accountable decisions concerning work responsibilities.
- Mentor and provide technical leadership and support to the HMIS Specialist and related FMOH state staff.
- Lead staff training on the database (HMIS) and answers questions related to the system
- Oversee the roll-out of harmonized National Health Management Information System (NHMIS) tools and supportive processes to states and Local Government Areas (LGAs)
- Take programmatic responsibility for the design and functioning of the HMIS Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) system.
- Provide technical and managerial oversight of the Sub-Recipient (SR) and other implementers supporting the HMIS systems strengthening module of the RSSH grant
- Lead capacity building for the HMIS Specialist, the corresponding HMIS strengthening sub-recipient (SR) staff, and the state staff.
- Review SR’s quarterly and annual work plans, budgets, and activity concept notes ensuring they are of the highest quality
- Advocate and champion increased use of electronic and routine reporting in the private and public health systems in the country
- Coordinate timely relevant technical support to all implementing health facilities.
- Represent the project at the national level on matters of HMIS systems and M&E.
- Review M&E data reports on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis and flag action areas to the Technical Advisor.
- Provide clear documentation of programmatic achievements and keep the Project Coordinator informed on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
- Work with management to document and publish best practices.
- Provide technical input in the development of an integrated project plan in collaboration with the Project Coordinator.
- Facilitate training surveys and ensure the quality of data and data management activities at all levels
- Build the capacity of staff in the design and implementation of a coordinated and effective monitoring and evaluation and learning system.
- Link and analyze resource inputs, outputs, and outcomes and advises on project effectiveness and efficiency.
- Supervise the development of Client Level Data System (CLDS) effort of the project, especially the set-up of client registry, and Unified EMR solution
- Provide support to the Government of Nigeria in the strengthening of the national data quality assurance (DQA) policy and guidelines, provide expertise in the strengthening of DQA processes and tools and supervise periodic data quality audits.
- Ensure adequate reporting data is provided to Global Fund and used by project management: coordinate writing of reports and take responsibility for compilation of joint project report to the Global Fund and to national authorities as appropriate.
- MBBS or Master’s degree in information science, data science, public health, statistics, health informatics, or a related field
- At least 10 years of experience working with information systems management and design in the health field for international donor-funded programs (Global Fund preferred), and in managing MEL systems for large-scale projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in the fields of capacity building and governance for information systems.
- At least 10 years of experience at a managerial level, providing guidance and supervision in the implementation of strategies or methods.
- Experience with reporting health services data using standard tools and software. Familiarity with NHMIS and DHIS2 is required.
- Experience in working with Client Level Data Systems (Client Registry, Electronic Medical Records) is an asset.
- Experience and up-to-date knowledge and skills in MEL for health systems and healthcare providers.
- Experience working with the public sector and development partners is essential
- Ability to conceive of, plan, and lead HIS strengthening activities that address the unique challenges of the central, provincial, district, facility, and community levels, in particular, related to HMIS/DHIS2
- Ability to provide high-level HIS technical leadership to multiple government directorates to achieve results, and to provide strategic support in the development and implementation of high-level HIS policies and guidelines
- Ability to find solutions to HIS challenges that are acutely sensitive to human and other resource constraints in the health sector
- Ability to serve as a liaison with Global Fund, Federal and selected State governments, and other key stakeholders in support of the grant implementation success
- Ability to lead HIS change management activities at all levels
- Experience in organizing and facilitating systems strengthening, capacity development, and mentoring processes
- Ability to lead and guide strategy development with the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH), manage technical implementation of proposed project initiatives, as well as ability to supervise, mentor and coach project and government staff.
- Strong analytical and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent written and spoken communications skills in English.
- Strong skills in using word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation software (Microsoft Office applications preferred).
- Experience using web-based applications (email, browsing, and literature retrieval).
20th February 2021
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online