The BBC is the world’s leading public service broadcaster. We’re impartial and independent, and every day we create distinctive, world-class programs and content which inform, educate, and entertain millions of people in the UK and around the world.
- Job Position: Social Media Visual Artist
- Job Location: Lagos, Nigeria
- The BBC World Service has grown its multimedia operations in Africa by doubling the number of language services from six to twelve and investing in modern TV and digital production facilities.
- The BBC’s digital journalism in Africa is a growing field and our ambition is to reach underserved audiences – such as younger audiences.
- An increase in women’s audiences and more diverse demography across Africa are among our key aims.
- We have an exciting opportunity to create new forms of digital storytelling and journalism that reaches 111 million people in Africa.
- As a Social Media Visual Artist, you will join a new multi-disciplinary digital team in Lagos made up of news gatherers, designers, software developers, and social media specialists who will be working with journalists working across 12 language services (English, French, Pidgin, Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa).
- BBC Africa aims to make explain and connect African and global stories by providing a unique insight into the main stories of the day in original formats.
- The African service digital offer consists of websites, mobile sites, and social media with all services providing multimedia content in text, video, interactive, and audio for radio, online, TV, mobile, and social media platforms.
- Your role as Social Media Visual Artist will play a key role in helping our content reach underserved audiences – such as younger, more female, and more diverse demographics in Africa. This is a fixed-term contract until September 2021, based in Lagos.
- The role of the Social Media Visual Artist is to create compelling images for stories promoted and published on social media on a daily basis.
- These assets could take the form of cartoons or illustrations as appropriate.
- You will apply editorial judgment when illustrating stories of a sensitive/controversial nature and seek advice where appropriate.
- You will show agility in reacting to breaking news or trending stories when required.
- The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate their first-class skills and experience in visual storytelling – illustration and or cartooning.
- A full understanding of social media platforms, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, as well as a sense of what makes attractive visual design is essential.
- You will have a clear understanding of our target audience, with a keen interest in news and current affairs in the region.
- Fluency in English is important; knowledge of other African languages would be a distinct advantage.
Any offer of employment is conditional upon you having the right to work in Nigeria
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online