Canonical delivers open source to the world faster, more securely, and more cost-effectively than any other company. We develop Ubuntu, the world’s most popular enterprise Linux from cloud to edge, together with a passionate global community of 200,000 contributors. Ubuntu means ‘humanity to others. We chose it because it embodies the generosity at the heart of open source, the new normal for platforms and innovation. Together with a community of 200,000, we publish an operating system that runs from the tiny connected devices up to the world’s biggest mainframes, the platform that everybody uses on the public cloud, and the workstation experience of the world’s most productive developers. Secure and reliable, elegant and intuitive, and open for innovation – Ubuntu is the future of open source, which is why it’s the fastest-growing Linux in the world despite already being the most widely deployed.
Job Position: Software Engineer, Python – Ubuntu Pro Client (Graduate Level)
Job Location: Lagos
- Ubuntu Pro is a suite of security services provided by Canonical. Whether you’re an enterprise customer deploying systems at scale or want security patching for your personal Ubuntu LTS at home, the Ubuntu Pro Client is the command-line tool that will help you manage the services you need.
- The quality of the Ubuntu Pro Client is important as it is everywhere by coming pre-installed on every Ubuntu system.and hence it is a critical tool in the world of Ubuntu.
- You’ll work with the Ubuntu Server team alongside major cloud partners as well as various products of Canonical to help develop, test, and release improvements to the Pro client, and be a voice in communication with our users.
- This role requires quality-oriented software engineering in Python, an awareness of norms and expectations, and a focus on software interoperability over a vast range of target releases and environments.. Excellent Python skills are required, with contributions to open source Python projects preferred. The Pro client often interacts with the Ubuntu package management – due to that experience in configuring apt and deb packaging and general system administration is a plus for this role.
- Applicants should be passionate about building tools that are used by millions of users. A personal interest and emphasis on quality, thinking of edge cases, ease of use, documentation, and careful community coordination is important. The Pro client is used at all ranges, from mission critical environments to hobbyist Ubuntu users.. Applicants should be ready to work with the whole spectrum of end users and help guide engineering best practices with them in mind.
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team
- Write high quality code, with unit and functional tests, to create new features
- Debug issues and produce high quality code to fix them
- Review code produced by other engineers
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 weeks for internal and external events
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar Degree
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have extensive experience with Python on Linux
- You have interest and experience with two or more of the following: Ubuntu Linux systems administration, continuous integration, end-system contract management
- Bonus points if you have experience engaging with the open source community.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online