Development Alternatives Incorporated (DAI) is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 80 countries.
Our development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.
- Job Position: State Lead
- Job Location: Akwa Ibom
- Start date: April 2021
- The purpose of the five-year (2020-2025) “State Accountability, Transparency and Effectiveness” (“State2State”) Activity is to increase the accountability, transparency, and effectiveness of selected states and local governments (LGAs) in Nigeria.
- This will be achieved by: strengthening governance systems (with a focus on public financial management [PFM] and procurement, as well as monitoring and evaluation) related to the delivery of services in key sectors (basic education, primary health care, and water, sanitation and hygiene [WASH]); increasing government responsiveness to citizen needs and priorities; and improving government and civil society capacity to manage conflict (through work on prevention, mitigation and reconciliation with the same sectoral partners, not stand-alone assistance to the police or judiciary).
- State2State will achieve this purpose by facilitating the strengthening of subnational governance systems in a sustainable manner, supporting the efforts of local reformers, and building on locally derived solutions including, to the extent possible, reforms already working in other parts of Nigeria.
- The State Lead is a critical technical and management staff. S/he provides day-to-day leadership and management to the state project interventions.
- S/he will develop strong relationships with government and relevant counterparts to move State2State activities forward successfully. S/he will oversee the state-based teams and activities, ensuring the highest quality implementation.
- S/he will support technical activities, such as: assist partners to develop and implement their own budget transparency plans.
- S/he will facilitate regular meetings with the private sector, state procurement agencies, and MDAs to improve transparency and expand bidders.
- S/he will review state-level performance against work plans, the Nigerian budget cycle, and other relevant factors; identify performance gaps; adjust programming approaches and supports, and schedule and coordinate input and support as needed.
- S/he will ensure strong, ongoing coordination with cross-cutting State2State teams, such as MEL and GESI. S/he will support the approval and development of a Transformation Committee (TC), aimed to design and oversee the implementation of annual sector-based reform plans.
- S/he will assist the TC to develop an overall M&E strategy to support service delivery and governance improvements by identifying evidence needs, including gender analysis, capacities, system requirements, and roles and functions. S/he, with the support of experienced Nigeria consultants, will initiate the Political Economy Analysis.
- S/he will work with state governments to begin a tailored design process to adopt innovations through a Best Fit Clearing House, incorporate the transfer design into the state’s annual work plan.
- The State Lead serves as the principal point of contact in the state for technical and operational matters, serving as the key staff facilitating activities, and develops and maintains positive relationships with keys stakeholders.
- This role oversees a state-based team that will manage outreach, support activities, and handle the development and monitoring of grants. This role spearheads state work plans and interventions, ensures timely and appropriate state interventions, and provides task oversight to ensure high-quality implementation within the state.
- Reporting: The State Lead will report to the Deputy Chief of Party.
- Line Management: The State Lead will directly supervise their respective state-based teams, including PFM Specialist, Citizen Engagement/Capacity Building Specialist, GESI Specialist, MEL Specialist, LGA Manager, and Finance/Accounting Officer/Specialist and any additional on-demand staff or consultants.
- Bachelor’s degree or HND in a relevant field such as International Development, Social Sciences, Law, Development Studies, etc. Master’s degree preferred.
- At least twelve (12) years of relevant professional experience. At least nine (9) years of demonstrated experience in the successful implementation of international development activities, with preference is given to democracy and governance activities under a USG instrument – three (3) years of which must be in senior program management, including direct supervision of professional and support staff.
- Experience working in the democracy and governance sector in Nigeria.
- Prior experience in overseeing the awarding and managing of grants to local organizations to promote democracy and governance goals preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Fluency in English Language
26th February, 2021.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: NigeriaGovernance@dai.com using “State Lead, Akwa Ibom” in the subject line of your email.
Note: Women and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.