SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that makes a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty by helping them raise incomes and access basic services. We focus on only three sectors and have a long-term, local presence in over 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our team of more than 1,300 staff is the backbone of SNV.
Job Position: Water Systems Specialist Consultant
Job Location: Abuja
- The objective of this study is to collect information that would Aid SNVs understanding of the water sector and identify value-adding opportunities and partnerships for SNV.
The key tasks to be performed are outlined as follows:
- Develop an understanding of SNV’s, strategy, strength, and experience as relevant for the water sector in Nigeria
- Present an overview of the water sector in the country, highlighting status of the sector, barriers and challenges, trends, and outlook.
- Assess the political economy of the water sector in the country including an understanding of Nigeria’s supply dynamics and access challenges.
- Present an overview of water resource management in Nigeria and how it links to different use sectors including priorities, challenges, constraints, ongoing initiative
- Develop a stakeholder mapping of the sector (including governmental actors, private sector companies, development partners, national and international NGOs, financiers & investors, and other market development actors), analyse donor funding trends and government priorities
- Present an overview of Irrigation and WASH subsectors in Nigeria including, priorities, challenges, constraints, ongoing initiatives, and mapping of key stakeholders, donors, financiers & investors
- Review cross-cutting issues in the water sector – GESI, Climate adaptation and mitigation, Governance & Institutions
- Assess and recommend key opportunities for SNV in the water sector highlighting niche, value add propositions, proposed interventions, including an assessment of strength, weakness, opportunities, and threats (SWOT).
- Assess potential competition and beneficial partnerships for SNV in Nigeria.
- Organize and conduct Key Informant Interviews (KIIs) if appropriate to further enrich findings from the study.
- Develop an annotated list and summary of key policy and regulatory frameworks relevant for the water sector including relevant policies from other SNV focal sectors – Agriculture and Energy.
- In addition to the assessment report covering the above points, produce a summary PowerPoint presentation which portrays key findings.
- Present findings and identify 2-3 priority interventions, considering specific sub-sectors and/or approaches, potential partners and funders.
- The methodology for this will be a combination of literature review and key informant interviews.
Qualifications required include:
- 5+ years’ experience working in water sector in Nigeria.
- More than 5+ experience developing and designing water system and WASH programme interventions.
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of the Nigerian water sector including stakeholder activities, policy and regulatory framework, and private sector initiatives.
- Experience performing assignments of a similar or closely related nature
- Evidenced excellent writing, analytical, and communication skills to be supported by work samples.
Deliverables (Timeline: April – June 2023):
- Inception report
- Country report containing assessment outcome and recommendations : 20 days
- Develop an annotated list and summary of key policy and regulatory frameworks relevant for the water sector : 3 days
- PowerPoint summary deck (max 20 slides) : 25 days
- Total : 25 days
Duration of the assignment:
- The Assignment is expected to be undertaken from April – June 2023. Final timings will be agreed upon appointment of the consultant and review of the inception report.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online